A practical five-day course to grade softwood to the visual strength grades set out in BS 4978: 2007+A1:2011 'Specification for visual grading of softwood'.
You should attend this course if:
- you are involved in the selection and supply of softwood for structural use
Through classroom based interactive learning, practical days spent in the timber yard and a practical examination, this course will provide delegates with:
- an introduction to timber, including the uses of strength graded timber
- the meaning of strength classes, an explanation of strength grading and the
- marking systems
- an understanding of the responsibilities of the grader and the grading company
- an introduction to the natural growth characteristics of wood using hand held samples
- practical exercises grading lengths of softwood timber.
The course also includes:
- practical exercises
- a written test.
During the course, 3m lengths of timber will be handled on a daily basis. Please ensure all delegates bring suitable clothing such as Hi-Vis vest/jacket and protective safety/footwear. Delegates must also be aware of the correct manual handling techniques.