A practical three-day course to grade hardwood to the visual strength grades set out in BS 5756: 2007+A1:2011 'Specification for visual grading of hardwood'.
You should attend this course if:
- you are involved in the selection and supply of hardwood for structural use
Through classroom based interactive learning, practical days spent in the timber yard and a practical examination, this course will provide delegates with:
- an introduction to timber, including the uses of strength graded timber
- the meaning of strength classes, an explanation of strength grading and the
- marking systems
- an understanding of the responsibilities of the grader and the grading company
- an introduction to the natural growth characteristics of wood using hand held samples
- practical exercises grading lengths of hardwood timber.
The course also includes:
- practical exercises
- a written test
"A hands on course, that was very enjoyable and informative. The course has further improved my understanding of Green Oak and Tropical Hardwoods. Customers respect the qualification and it has helped me to retain and increase business.
Dan Mathews, AVTP & Hardwood Manager, Taylor Maxwells
During the course, 3m lenghts of timber will be handled on a daily basis. Please ensure all delegates bring suitable clothing such as Hi-Vis vest/jacket and protective safety/footwear. Delegates must also be aware of the correct manual handling techniques.