Recent food scares have pushed food safety up the agenda for everyone. With public demand for reassurance and constant vigilance, the need to ensure that, at all points in the supply chain, those involved in food production are working to rigorous standards is a prerequisite to trade in this sector.
ISO 22000 - about the food safety standard
The food safety management standard, ISO 22000, provides a common standard that enables organisations to demonstrate their commitment to food safety.
The standard was developed in conjunction with food experts and associations from across the globe and is based around HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points). The fundamental principle is to “plan, design, implement, operate, maintain and update a food safety management system aimed at providing products that, according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer”.
ISO 22000 provides a management system framework to bring together the tools, techniques, process control and regulatory requirements for ensuring food safety.
This management system can be used at all stages of the food supply chain, from primary producers, through manufacturers, storage and transportation operations to retail and food service outlets, giving a common framework as well as a system that is internationally recognised. With correlation between the requirements of both ISO 22000 and ISO 9001 integration of the management systems is a real possibility.
Having your food safety management system independently certified to ISO 22000 will provide a management system framework to bring together the tools, techniques, process control and regulatory requirements for ensuring food safety.
Specifically ISO 22000 certification will:
- provide assurance that is widely accepted by buyers to demonstrate your commitment to rigorous food safety practices
- meet requirements supported by suppliers and retailers who wish to promote improved food safety
- ensure legal compliance and improved risk management
- help deliver operational efficiencies
- increase your range of new business opportunities and meet contractual obligations
- provide third party validation of the HACCP plan.