An integrated management system is a single system which integrates many elements of an organisation, such as quality, environment, health and safety, into one unified system which enables the achievement of its objectives.
The initial implementation of an integrated management system will require resource and possible time spent in training. However, an effective integrated management system can be of key importance to an organisation in facilitating trade and promoting sustainable development as well as adding value to the business.
Other benefits to developing an integrated management system include:
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness
- Cost reduction for audit visits through integrated audits
- Reduces duplication and maximises resources
- Increases time available to management to implement proactive measures
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement
- Improves internal and external communications
Gaining certification for integrated management systems allows you to demonstrate meeting a common set of standard requirements and address the challenge of running several separate systems in isolation.
The implementation of an integrated management system can have a considerable impact on how an organisation operates and manages its business processes.
When integrating several standards into one system the organisation needs to take certain things into account:
- Any integration needs to support the objective of the management system in the first place. Will this help achieve the business plan and does an integrated system fit with the size and culture of the organisation?
- Typically ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 (or BS OHSAS 18001) are integrated into one system but it is not limited to just these standards. Organisations should look for common ground between different management system standards when deciding which ones to implement together.
- Consider whether the Plan-Do-Check-Act Approach to management and process control will work across all management systems in place. Using this will improve the overall process of the management system/s to reach greater effectiveness.
Exova BM TRADA offer integrated management systems certification and training.
Take a look at our website to learn more about integrated management systems certfication from a UKAS accredited certification body. Exova BM TRADA experts can help get your started with your integrated management system certification journey. Contact us via email or give us a call on 01494 569745.
We also offer a suite of training courses, click here to discover more.